Why hire Don Wilcox?
- Exceptional and diverse writing/content creation and editing skills honed over three decades as a journalist, editor and online editor. Some links are included (below), but for more examples, visit my Author Page at Ottawasun.com
- Deep knowledge of both digital and print communications strategies
- Hands-on with social media for content, marketing, brand promotion and trends
- Course creation and presentation skills honed in diverse settings; from college classes to seminars and for journalists and editors, to clinics for football officials
- Project, campaign and change management experience, from promotions and marketing to website migration and reorganizing staff work flows
- Extensive peer and client relationship-building experience in fast-paced environments
- Strong self-motivation, “editor’s eye” for detail, ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
Want more details? Continue reading, or download my CV.
Download in MS Word: Resume Work Experience of Don Wilcox
|Writing / Editing||Social Media||Digital Multimedia|
|Multi-Tasking||Working to Deadlines||Content Management|
|Photography / Video||Attention to Detail||Marketing / Promotions|
|Layout and Design||Teaching / Mentoring||Functionally Bilingual|
|Content Analytics||Aggressive Self-Starter||Customer Service|
Ottawasun.com – Ottawa, Ontario 06/2005 to 01/2016
Senior Online Editor
- Managed all editorial aspects of Ottawasun.com (homepages, content creation, etc)
- Championed early adoption of social media, taught newsroom skills and best practices
- As part of a small team of senior editors, helped guide Sun journalists to seven 2015 Ontario News Award nominations, despite severe staff cutbacks
- Implemented and taught real-time, live blog reporting skills via ScribbleLive and Storify
- Enhanced reader engagement via forums, surveys, polls, chats, e-blasts etc.
- Teamed with promotions, advertising staff on cross-platform, multimedia campaigns
- Experience with: Multiple CMS, WordPress, Documentum, InDesign/InCopy, Jazbox, Chartbeat, Google Analytics, Disqus, MS Office, Photoshop, Brightcove, Final Cut Pro …
Algonquin College – Ottawa, Ontario 09/2008 to 05/2015
- Created, taught and continually updated three courses in post-grad programs: Writing for the Web, New Media & Social Media, Writing for Mobile Devices
- Instructed courses via a unique pilot project which accommodated synchronous and asynchronous students, able to attend in-class or via remote log-in
- Regularly utilized instructional programs such as Blackboard and Canvas
Ottawa Sun – Ottawa, Ontario 10/2001 to 06/2005
Page One and Slot Editor
- Supervised and directed editors and news staff in story selection and creation
- Designed and laid out Page One; determined story lineup for the newspaper, managed page design and layout, copy editing, photo selection and editing, graphics creation
FYIOttawa.com – Ottawa, Ontario 05/2000 to 09/2001
Director of Web Operations
- Managed creation of entertainment, shopping, services and leisure content for a dynamic “city site” of directories and information (part of Sun Media/CANOE network)
Ottawa Sun, Asst. Sports Editor
- Helped lead all aspects of the Sun’s award-winning, 12-member Sports Department
Barrie Examiner – Barrie, Ontario
- Rose from Sports Writer to Sports Editor and then City Editor.
Honours & Awards
- Two-time Ottawa Sun “Editor of the Year”
- Ontario News Award Finalist: Breaking News (Bus/train Crash 2013, Wilno Murders 2015)
- Ontario News Award for Layout Excellence for the Ottawa Sun in 2004 (team award)
- Western Ontario News Award recipient for Spot News with the Barrie Examiner
- Thomson International Award of Excellence for feature writing with Barrie Examiner
- Ontario Secondary Schools Graduation Diploma. Honours Student. (Was hired as a full-time journalist immediately after graduation, so I did not attend university)
- Level IV CFOA Football Official. Former Eastern Ontario Training Officer. Level III Course Conductor, Evaluator. Have worked numerous national, Quebec, Ontario championships.
- Former minor baseball and hockey coach, each for approximately 10 years
- Active Member Outdoor Writers of Canada
- Founding member Kayak Anglers Association of the Outaouais
- News Writing: To catch a thief, Farhat Bakery style
- News Writing: Huge boar shot dead east of Ottawa, turns out to be ‘pet’
- Magazine Writing: Kayak Anglers Drift to Still Waters (Pg. 22-23); Where to take a kid fishing (Pg. 26-27)
- Social Media – Storify: A day at the Toronto Sportsmen’s Show
- Breaking News, Digital Content Packaging: 6 dead after Ottawa bus strikes Via Rail train.
I will be happy to supply references upon request.